City of Vancouver
Search
Help
 
Archives Home   Search Archives    About Archives    About Our Holdings    Reference Guides    Reproduction Services    Photographs    Exhibits    Digitized Holdings
 

Archives


 

Early Vancouver, Volume 7

Major Matthews collected the contents of Volume 7 in 1931-1956 and compiled the volume in 1956. There are two versions of Volume 7 in the Archives: this is version 1, chosen because it is the most complete and in the best physical condition. Learn more about the 2011 edition, copyright, reproductions and citations.

Keyword Search Volume 7

Download Volume 7

Complete Volume 7: PDF (133 MB) ODF (91 MB) Adobe logo To view/print PDFs you will require Adobe Reader
About ODF.

Download Individual Chapters From Volume 7

  • Introduction[PDF]
  • [Letter from J.S. Matthews to George Fitch.] [PDF]
  • Epilogue. [PDF]
  • [Letter from Charles E. Tisdall.] News Herald (first week in January, 1939.) [PDF]
  • Finis Coronot Opus. (The end crowns the work.) Vancouver Daily Province, Saturday, 14 June 1947. [PDF]
  • [Letter from J.S. Matthews to F.A. Hardy.] [PDF]
  • [Letter from Emily E. Matthews to F.A. Hardy.] [PDF]
  • [Letter from J.S. Matthews to F.A. Hardy.] [PDF] (3 MB)
  • [Letter from R. Rowe Holland.] [Letter from J.S. Matthews to F.A. Hardy.] [PDF]
  • The Vancouver Sun magazine supplement, 1 May 1948. [PDF]
  • In the Supreme Court of British Columbia. Remarks by the Honourable Chief Justice Wendell B. Farris. [PDF]
  • [Letter from J.S. Matthews to Chief Justice Farris.] [PDF]
  • [Letter from Emily E. Matthews to W.E. Ireland.] [Letter from William E. Ireland to Emily E. Matthews.] [PDF]
  • [Letter from J.S. Matthews to W.A. McAdam.] Vancouver Sun, Monday, 5 December 1949. [PDF]
  • News-Herald, Vancouver, Thursday, 7 June 1951. [PDF]
  • The Vancouver Daily Province, B.C. Magazine, Saturday 27 October 1951. [PDF]
  • The Vancouver Daily Province, 9 January 1952. News-Herald, Monday morning, 21 January 1952. [PDF]
  • Institution of City Archives, Vancouver. Editorial page of The Vancouver Sun, 20 March 1952. [PDF]
  • 10 January 1953. [PDF]
  • The Vancouver Province, Tuesday, 9 March 1954. [PDF]
  • Vancouver News-Herald, Thursday, 11 March 1954. [PDF]
  • Vancouver News-Herald, Thursday, 11 March 1954. Letter from Major Matthews to Mrs. R.C. Burke, whose husband is manager of Dominion Oxygen Co. The All Red Route by Air. Australian-Canadian Air Service inaugural flight reached Vancouver 17 September 1946. Aeroplane Warana. 19 September 1946 [PDF]
  • Memo of conversation with Mr. Sidney Ashdown, of 224 West 10th Avenue, whose daughter, Miss Doris Ashdown, suggested to him that he call at the City Archives, which he did, 9 September 1954. [PDF]
  • Bear and deer. West Vancouver. [PDF]
  • Raccoon at Kitsilano. The last of the Beaver. Prospect Point, First Narrows, Vancouver, 1898-1914. [PDF]
  • Conversation, 11 April 1946, with John Warren Bell, pioneer of Burrard Inlet, who came here on S.S. Beaver, 1871; went to school at Moodyville (Mrs. Murray Thain, teacher); and was a frequent visitor to Gastown. [Letter from J.S. Matthews to Miss Helen Boutilier.] [PDF]
  • The founding of Gibson’s Landing. [PDF]
  • Big trees. Logging with oxen. Mountain goats. [PDF]
  • After seventy years. [PDF]
  • 10 February 1948 – Dietz of Moodyville. Conversation with Mr. John Warren Bell, pioneer, 1867, now of the Alcazar Hotel, Dunsmuir Street, Vancouver, who kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon and chatted, 12 May 1948. [PDF]
  • Deep Cove. [PDF]
  • Salmon-bellies. [PDF]
  • [Letter from J. Warren Bell.] The Sleeping Beauty. [PDF]
  • Conversation over the phone with John Warren Bell, Alcazar Hotel, Vancouver, 21 January 1949. Augusta DeBeck. Howard DeBeck. Sea Island. Richmond. Conversation over the phone with Miss Helen Rand, 2061 Beach Avenue, who is a daughter of Mrs. Arthur Edwin Rand, that is, the former Augusta, or ‘Gussie,’ DeBeck, 21 January 1949. “The first white child born on these islands.” [PDF]
  • [Letter from J. Warren Bell.] 17 July 1950. [PDF]
  • Henry Blair. Incorporation of the City of Vancouver. Death of the last survivor, Henry Blair, 24 March 1949. First white child born in New Westminster was black. [PDF]
  • Mrs. Hugh Boyd. [PDF]
  • A night with the Boyds of Richmond, Canada. [PDF]
  • Presentation of portraits, Reeve and Mrs. Hugh Boyd, 23 May 1947. [PDF]
  • 16 February 1949 – Boyd of Richmond. [PDF]
  • [Letter from Lord Granville.] [PDF]
  • History of Burnaby. Green, 1947. [PDF]
  • The Vancouver Province, Saturday, 4 June 1955. The Vancouver Province, Wednesday, 8 June 1955 [PDF]
  • [Letters from J.S. Matthews to Sir Gerald Burrard.] Admiral Burrard’s portrait. Note by J.S. Matthews. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mr. William Edward Grant, 2505 Scott Street, one of the few (six only so far as is known) who arrived in Vancouver on the first train, 23 May 1887, and who very kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon for a chat, 4 February 1947. Driving last spike, C.P.R., 1885. Locomotive 374. [PDF]
  • What became of the first C.P.R. station. [PDF]
  • 8 May 1956. Mount Pleasant. 29th Avenue East. Sophia Street. Water from well. Cannon shot. [PDF]
  • 16 November 1948 – The chain gang, Vancouver. [PDF]
  • Conversation with F.M. Chaldecott, Esq., pioneer, who came to Vancouver 1 May 1890, now of 1174 West Hastings Street, at the Vancouver Club, on Wednesday afternoon, 18 August 1948, when I had the honour to be his sole guest at afternoon tea; we talked from 3 to 5. Vancouver Club (of which Mr. Chaldecott is a life member.) Ball room. Rubber floor. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mr. R.E. Clugston, of 7687 West Boulevard, and of Clugston Hardware Limited, Marpole, 2 December 1950. Methodist Church, North Arm, at Eburne. Eburne, B.C., 1889. Marpole, B.C., 1889. William Oliver. [PDF]
  • The first coat-of-arms, Vancouver[PDF]
  • [Letter from Alice Crakanthorp.] [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mrs. Alice Crakanthorp, pioneer, 1873, now the only surviving pupil in Vancouver of the first class of the first school, Hastings Sawmill, on the site of Vancouver, and with her daughter, Miss Muriel, and with Mrs. Head, daughter of Fred Patterson, her niece, all of 1141 Burnaby Street, [at] City Archives, 10 May 1948. [PDF]
  • The first European girl born on the west coast of Vancouver Island revisits the scene of her birth, Stamp’s Mill, 26 February 1864. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mr. Donald Cramer, 1507 West 12th Avenue, formerly president, Vancouver Canadian Club, 1911-1912 (one year), 20 August 1946. Vancouver Stock Exchange. John Kendall. Macdonald, Marpole and Co. [PDF]
  • “Crazy George.” [PDF]
  • Three creeks of the forest, now Vancouver. [PDF]
  • Croquet. [PDF]
  • Miss Esther J. Cummings (Miss Georgia Sweney’s daughter), of Santa Paula, California, 3 May 1947. [PDF]
  • Arthur Currie at the Flower Show, Drill Hall, Victoria, circa 1910. [PDF]
  • General Sir Arthur Currie at Ladysmith. [PDF]
  • From Early Vancouver, Vol. 4: “Archivists worth their weight in gold.” The return of General Currie to Vancouver, 4 October 1919. [PDF]
  • Canadian Customs at Vancouver Airport. As told by [Mrs.] Frank Way, 5576 Oak Street, Vancouver, 25 May 1956. [PDF]
  • The late Archbishop de Pencier. Telegram. From Vancouver Daily Province, Friday, 28 September 1951. Lord and Lady Derby at Vancouver, 27-29 September 1951. [PDF]
  • Excerpts from letter, 4 October 1955, from Thomas A. Dutton, early City Official, now of Box 170, Cobble Hill, B.C., to Major Matthews. [PDF]
  • Visit of T.R.H. The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York (King George V and Queen Mary), September 1901. Tales of English Bay. [PDF]
  • “Felix Penne.” J. Francis Bursill of the “Bursill Institute,” Collingwood, Vancouver, Canada. [PDF]
  • The first brick building in Vancouver. The Ferguson Block. A.G. Ferguson of Ferguson’s Point, Stanley Park. Conversation with Mr. Arthur J. Ford, pioneer, 1888, who kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon, bringing with him a small section of wood, about eight inches square, full of toredo [teredo] worm bore holes, 27 September 1946. City of Vancouver, sixty-five years old today. Milk delivery. [PDF]
  • The Garvin milk ranch, Westminster Road (Kingsway), 1890. [PDF]
  • The (Moses) Gibson ranch. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mrs. W.M. Gow, 984 Burrard Street, who very kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon and stayed for a cup of tea. A.M.J. Farr. W.G. Babcock. Williams and Craig. Maud Templeton. Temporary City Hall. [PDF]
  • The Newfoundland fishermen of West Vancouver. “North American Chinamen,” 1872. [PDF]
  • Samuel Greer, of Greer’s Beach, and Sheriff Armstrong. Destruction of Mr. Greer’s home by Canadian Pacific Railway. [PDF]
  • Hadden Park. Excerpt, letter, Col. the Hon. Eric W. Hamber, C.M.G., LL.D. to Major J.S. Matthews. [PDF] (2 MB)
  • Mrs. Mary Riter Hamilton, Vancouver, 1952. [PDF]
  • Vancouver Rugby Football Club. Conversation with Mr. A.P. Horne, 4025 South Granville Street, pioneer (November 1889), who kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon, 31 July 1952. Bowen Island. Snug Cove. A.P. Horne. R.M. Fripp. Gordon T. Legg. Vancouver Boating Club. Red Cross Brewery. John Williams. Deep Bay. Joseph Mannion. Bowen Island. George Grant Mackay. Stanley Park Brewery. Lost Lagoon. Chilco Street. John Oben. “Cascade Beer.” [PDF]
  • Conversation (over the phone) with Mr. A.P. Horne, 4025 Granville Street, pioneer, 16 March 1954. Sarah Bernhardt and Vancouver Opera House. [PDF]
  • The City Hospital, 1902 re an excerpt, Annual report, 1948, Vancouver General Hospital. [PDF]
  • North Vancouver’s first hotel (downtown business section). [PDF] (3 MB)
  • First gasoline service station in America. [PDF] (2 MB)
  • Imperial Oil Limited. [PDF]
  • The Cleric and the Devil. [PDF]
  • Invercraig, Hood Point, Bowen Island. [PDF]
  • “Little Archer” and the Japanese visiting squadron, about 1909. [PDF]
  • Japanese shrine. Conversation with Mr. Walter Keamo, 760 Powell Street, Vancouver, who very kindly called at the City Archives this morning, 18 April 1952. James Keamo. Hawaiians. [PDF]
  • Another inaccurate story about start of fire, 1886. “John Mole Keefer passes. Started fire of 1886.” Mr. Keefer’s illusion. Rev. Thomas Crosby. Rev. Charles Montgomery Tate. Rev. Cornelius Bryant. The construction of the Kettle Valley Railway and “The Heyes of the Happles in the Horchard,” 1912. [PDF]
  • Concerning arrival of Narvaez, 1791, at Vancouver. Homulchesun. Capilano Creek. First Narrows. Conversation with Mrs. James Walker, daughter of Joseph Silvey (or Silvia) of Granville, or “Gastown,” at her room at 721 Cambie Street, 23 September 1943. [PDF] (2 MB)
  • [Mask.] Conversations with Khahtsahlano, Matthews, 1955, page 137. Indian implements. Indian masks. Major J.S. Mathews. Chief Skwa-yoos. Lord Alexander, Governor General. Kitsilano Beach. [PDF]
  • Supplejack’s mausoleum, Stanley Park at Chaythoos, First Narrows. Supplejack’s grave. Khay-tulk. Chaythoos. 16 August 1948. [PDF]
  • The names Capilano and Kitsilano. [PDF]
  • Conversations with Khahtsahlano, page 22. Saasmat. Andrew Paul, Qoitchetahl. Sasaamat. [PDF]
  • Eye glasses. [PDF]
  • Conversations with Khahtsahlano, page 147. Men-ah-tia. Honorary Chief Charles Warren Cates of North Vancouver. The legend of Stah-pus or Staw-pus. (Andys Bay.) Gambier Island. Captain Cates to Major Matthews, 19 June 1951. [PDF]
  • From Squamish Indian names, Matthews, 1931-1940, a collection of names, Squamish Indian Villages, Landmarks and Persons, Burrard Inlet and Howe Sound. [PDF]
  • 5 March 1952 [PDF]
  • Conversations with Khahtsahlano, page 143. Spear for ducks. Capilano family genealogy. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mr. Frederick Kilby, who came to Vancouver with his parents, George and Elizabeth Kilby, 8 October 1887, now of 8745 Aberdeen Street, Central Park, Vancouver, and who kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon, and remained to tea, 20 January 1953. Howe Street horse races. “Crazy George.” [PDF]
  • [Correspondence with John A. Kirkpatrick.] Annore Creek, Lake Buntzen. Mr. and Mrs. F.J. Lancaster. Annore Creek. Lake Buntzen. [PDF]
  • Conversation with John Lawson, Esq., pioneer, West Vancouver, 1905, and his daughter, Miss Gertrude Lawson, at their residence, 680 Seventeenth Street, Hollyburn, West Vancouver, 8 September 1949. Hollyburn Golf Course. Lawson Creek. “Navvy Jack.” [PDF] (2 MB)
  • First electric light, Burrard Inlet. [PDF]
  • “The lights of Vancouver.” Lillooet, B.C. The meaning of the name “Lillooet.” [PDF]
  • Conversation with M.S. Logan, Esq., pioneer, Moodyville, May, 1875, now of 615 West Pender Street (Crown Building), who kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon, 21 September 1949. Marriage licenses. Prospect Point and English Bay sea wall. [PDF]
  • Lost Lagoon. [PDF]
  • The naming of “Lost Lagoon.” [PDF]
  • D.L. 190, Port Moody. Pigeon Cove. The unveiling of the statue to Senator The Honourable Gerald Grattan McGeer, K.C. at the City Hall, in Strathcona Park, Vancouver, Monday, 18 October 1948, at 3:00 p.m. [PDF]
  • D.L. 315. McCleery Estate. McCleery’s diary, 1863-1866. [PDF]
  • Conversation, 5 April 1949, with Mrs. Robert Mackie, French Street, more commonly known as “Miss McCleery,” which name she still retains despite her marriage some four or six years ago. Fitzgerald McCleery. D.L. 315. Mrs. B.T. Rogers. “Shannon.” [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mrs. Mary Jane McIver, widow John D. McIver, now of 1349 East 3rd Avenue, in which home she has lived for 54 years, who kindly came to the City Archives this afternoon in company with Walter Allan Smith, son of John Frederick Smith. Visit of Miss Margaret Florence McNeil, our first baby, 23–28 April 1951. [PDF]
  • Conversation with James Arthur Martin, pioneer, of 645 West Broadway, who kindly called at the City Archives this morning, 2 November 1949. Coal Harbour bridge. Stanley Park dedication. Homer Street Methodist Church. Greer’s Beach. Canadian Pacific Railway trestle bridge. Leland Hotel. John Insley. Mayor David Oppenheimer. Christ Church “roothouse.” [PDF]
  • Conversation with William Hamilton Mason, pioneer, Alderman 1889, 1890, now of 1380 West 45th Avenue, Vancouver, who very kindly called at the City Archives, 26 April 1951. [PDF]
  • Clearing the “C.P.R. Townsite” (Vancouver). C.P.R. Boarding House. Yale Hotel. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Dr. Robert Mathison, D.D.S., of Kelowna, B.C., pioneer, Vancouver, March 1886, at Hotel Vancouver, 16 November 1947. First printer. Vancouver Weekly Herald. First reporter. First newsboy. Typographical Union. [PDF]
  • Handwritten on back of envelope postmarked “Kelowna, Sep. 10, 1947.” Board of Trade luncheon—17 November 1947. Diamond Jubilee. [PDF]
  • “A very great woman”. [Emily Matthews]. [PDF]
  • Province, 10 November 1949. [PDF]
  • Remarks by Major J.S. Matthews, V.D. to the ladies of the Altrusa International Convention, approximately 150 members of the Altrusa Clubs of Idaho, Oregon and Washington, U.S.A., and British Columbia, Canada, at 9:15 a.m., Saturday, 15 May 1948, Hotel Vancouver. [PDF]
  • Western Gate Lodge, No. 48, A.F. & A.M. Worshipful Master Verner Franklin Ableson. [PDF]
  • Pioneers of Vancouver, 1886. [PDF]
  • Remarks of Major J.S. Matthews, V.D. at a banquet given by the Westminster Regiment in the Elks Hall, New Westminster, Wednesday, 23 May 1951. [PDF]
  • Freedom. [PDF] (2MB)
  • Response of Major J.S. Matthews, V.D. upon being presented with an illuminated scroll conferring upon him the Freedom of Vancouver at a banquet held in the Pavilion, Stanley Park, Vancouver, Monday, 5 April 1954. [PDF] (4 MB)
  • 1 December 1954 – The City Witch. [PDF]
  • Terra Nova. [PDF]
  • Conversation, 28 May 1952, with Miss Ida Murphy, 336 Dunsmuir Street, who, together with her sister, Miss Maud, has lived in the same residence since it was built by her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. William Murphy, in the summer of 1887, i.e., sixty-five years. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mrs. Lilian M. Nelson, 2910 East 28th Avenue, Vancouver, 7 September 1948. [PDF]
  • “O Canada.” Buchan. [PDF]
  • [Letter from P.H. Buchan.] “O Canada.” [PDF]
  • Remembrance Day services at Cenotaph, 1950. “O Canada.” [PDF]
  • General Odlum and the soldier’s rum, 1916-1917. Somme and Vimy, 1916-1917. “From B.C. to Baisieux.” [PDF]
  • “Moral Reformer and Teetotal Crank.” Cable. The coronation. [PDF]
  • A description of the Great Fire, 13 June 1886, by a girl who passed through it. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Ernest Frederick Ringle, pioneer, 1889, of 433 West 21st Avenue, who came to Vancouver in February 1889, at the City Archives, 10 September 1948. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Thomas William Roberts, of 1147 Trans-Canada Highway, Abbottsford, who called at the City Archives, 31 October 1949. First divine services, Burrard Inlet. [PDF]
  • [Letter to Colonel Rorison.] [PDF]
  • Royal Engineers Survey, 1863. [PDF]
  • Conversation, over the phone, with Fred T. Salsbury, son of A.E. Salsbury, first C.P.R. Treasurer in Vancouver, 2993 West 33rd Avenue, 22 March 1950. Wigwam Inn. Indian River. Charles Woodward. Smith and Doctor. Sholto Smith. Fred T. Salsbury. “Hastings Literary Institute.” [PDF]
  • Conversation, on Vancouver and “Gastown,” with Calvert Simson, 1870 Barclay Street, former storekeeper, Hastings Sawmill, who dropped in to the City Archives this morning for a brief visit, 28 November 1945. Hastings Institute. [PDF]
  • The Hastings Sawmill Store [PDF]
  • Express delivery. Empresses. Post Office money orders. Holidays. Post Office moved 1 February 1886. John Rooney. Steam schooners. Hard wheat flour. Soft American flour. Chinook jargon. Last Postmaster. Further ramblings about the old Hastings Sawmill Store. Royal City Planing Mill Company. [PDF]
  • Conversations with Khahtsahlano, page 287. The last potlatch. Indian rancherie, 1884. Hastings Sawmill. Dunlevy Avenue. D.L. 196. See-ahm, see-ahm: a chant. Royal City Planing Mills. Hastings Sawmill Co. B.C. Mills, Timber and Trading Co. Calvert Simson. Ben Wilson, 1884. Granville, B.I., 1884. Joseph Mannion. Hastings Sawmill storekeeper. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mr. Calvert Simson, pioneer, former storekeeper at the Hastings Sawmill, Vancouver, who called this afternoon at the City Archives, 9 November 1953. Capt. Geo. Marchant. S.S. Beaver. Extract from Capt. John T. Walbran’s B.C. Coast Names, page 469. [PDF]
  • [Letter from Edward Stamp to W.G.A. Young.] [Letter from Edward Stamp to A.N. Birch.] [Letter from J.B. Launders.] [PDF]
  • [Letter from C. Brew.] First divine service, City of Vancouver (old boundaries). Ferguson Point, Stanley Park. The naming of Southlands. Founding and naming Abbotsford, B.C. Shortreed, B.C. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Miss Isabel Smith, one of the graduates of the early nursing schools of the Vancouver City Hospital, Pender and Cambie streets, who now resides with her sister, Miss Rosina E. Smith, at 3188 West 27th Avenue. Vancouver City Hospital. Early nursing schools. St. Luke’s Home. Sister Frances. The office and wards. Miss Clendenning, Matron. [PDF]
  • “The merry children of Vancouver” in Stanley Park. [PDF]
  • The opening of Stanley Park, October 1889. The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Derby, K.G. [PDF]
  • 1888-1948. Stanley Park, Vancouver, B.C. Opening and naming, 27 September 1888. 60th Anniversary, 27 September 1948. [PDF] (2 MB)
  • Dedication of Stanley Park, October 1889. Toy balloons. [PDF] (11 MB)
  • Commemorating the dedication of Stanley Park, 1889 and honoring the pioneers of Vancouver, Canada, 1949. [PDF]
  • Road race around Stanley Park circa 1899-1906. Runners. 5 December 1945 – Electric trolley busses—the first in Vancouver. Street car destination panels. [PDF]
  • Excerpt from The Buzzer, published by the British Columbia Electric Railway Company Ltd., Vancouver, Friday, 6 October 1950. The famous observation car. The Burrard telescope and Inspector Henry Larsen. Royal Canadian Mounted Police ship St. Roch. [PDF] (4 MB)
  • Conversation (over the phone) with Sub-Inspector Henry Larsen, R.C.M.P., of the R.C.M.P. schooner St. Roch, 5 January 1948. Mrs. Henry Larsen and the North West Passage, 1940-42 and 1944. Mount Pleasant. Florence Nightingale School. [PDF]
  • [Excerpt of letter from Henry A. Larsen.] [PDF]
  • [Letter from Mary Larsen.] [PDF]
  • “North West Passage,” 1940-42 and 1944. [PDF] (3 MB)
  • At the presentation of the auxiliary schooner R.C.M. Police St. Roch by the Dominion of Canada to the City of Vancouver, Council Chamber, City Hall, Vancouver, Tuesday, 13 October 1954. [PDF] (4 MB)
  • Survey of “C.P.R. Townsite,” or Vancouver, by L.A. Hamilton, 1885. [PDF]
  • [Letter from L.A. Hamilton to I.G. Ogden.] [PDF]
  • First aerial survey of Vancouver, 1933 or 1934 by His Worship the mayor and Aldermen and City officials. [PDF]
  • [Letter from J.S. Matthews to Isobel O. Hamilton.] [PDF]
  • Hermit Island and Mickey Island: naming of, in whose honour, when, and by whom. [PDF]
  • Sons of His Worship the late L.D. Taylor, Theodore (“Ted”) Pierce Taylor, 5301 Lexington Avenue; Kenneth Osborne Taylor, 1215 North Hobart Street, Hollywood 27, California, U.S.A. [PDF]
  • Chinese Theatre, Chinatown. [PDF]
  • Gabriel (“Gaby”) Thomas, son of Gabriel Thomas, pioneers, 1886. Oriental Hotel. Alert Hose Reel Team at Tacoma, September 1889. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mrs. L.B. Thompson, 1855 West 14th Avenue, née Annie Maud McKay, pioneer, 1889, who kindly called at the archives this morning, 16 September 1948, bringing with her several old school photographs, one being of the Oppenheimer Street school, another Strathcona School; both have since been copied by photography. Water from wells. East End. Strathcona School. [PDF] (5 MB)
  • Conversation with Mrs. Neville J. Townsend, daughter of Henry J. Cambie, celebrated civil engineer of Canadian Pacific Railway in British Columbia, Friday, 19 August 1949. Steam boat on the Fraser. The Skuzzy. “Hell’s Gate.” Capt. J.W. Troup. Tuck, of Tucks, Lulu Island. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mrs. Roy Trythall, of Irvine’s Landing, Pender Harbour, B.C., who kindly called at the City Archives this morning, 30 December 1953, bringing with her a number of photograph prints and negatives of Trythall’s Clearing, North Vancouver. [PDF]
  • Supplementary to Map of Vancouver showing relief situation in 1934. [PDF]
  • The wording of the letter written by Captain George Vancouver, R.N., of H.M.S. Discovery, and by Mrs. Jonathan Rogers presented to the Citizens of Vancouver, 9 July 1946. Note to W.J. Twiss. [PDF]
  • Sesquicentennial of burial of Captain Vancouver, 18 May 1798-1948. [PDF]
  • Captain Vancouver’s grave at St. Peter’s. Annual wreath, May 18th. City of Vancouver takes over from Native Sons of British Columbia. Explanation by City Archivist. [PDF]
  • Coves, views and heights. [PDF]
  • Angle on the Square [PDF]
  • Conversation, 25 May 1948, with Mr. and Mrs. Van Duren, of North Bend, Oregon, who are on a visit to Vancouver—arrived on the evening of 24 May (1948)—and are staying at the Castle Hotel. “Klondyke Kate.” Biograph machine. Orpheum Theatre. Conversation with Mrs. William Walmsley, née Housley, now of 2313 Ash Street, widow, who kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon, 22 November 1954. Thorpe’s soda [PDF]
  • The first steamship (claimed) to be built in Vancouver. [PDF]
  • The “West End,” Vancouver. Lost in the clearing. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Miss Elsa Wiegand, 3836 West 23rd Avenue, daughter of Charles Wiegand, well-known pioneer of Vancouver, who very kindly called at the City Archives this morning, 28 June 1946. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mr. Charles Wiegand, and his daughter, Miss Elsa Wiegand, who were so kind as to call at the City Archives this afternoon, 27 December 1946, and stay chatting for an hour or so, and partake of a little tea and cake at the proper moment. 1885 in Vancouver. Brigade Bay. Camp Artaban. Port Graves. Deer on Gambier Island. [PDF]
  • [T.P. Wicks.] [PDF]
  • Copies of letters by “Skookum Tom,” alias “Thomas P. Wicks,” P.O. Box 248, Nanaimo, Canada. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mr. and Mrs. C.J. Wilkes, at 1665 East Fifth Avenue, Vancouver, this morning, 21 December 1945, when I called at his invitation by letter to receive a Christmas present, being a piece of the wood of the S.S. Beaver made many years ago into a desk ruler. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mrs. George Wilks, who very graciously called at the City Archives this afternoon and stayed for a cup of tea and cake, 27 February 1947. Conversation with Mrs. Jane Wilks, pioneer, 7826 Cartier Street, Kerr. 4340L, at the City Archives—a surprise visit—on the afternoon of 27 January 1949; widow of George William Wilks who died 1940. [PDF]
  • Mrs. Jane Wilks called at the City Archives at noon, just as I was having lunch, and joined me in a cup of tea and a sandwich at my desk, 25 August 1949. Yorkton, N.W.T. (Saskatchewan). Whitewood, N.W.T. (Saskatchewan). Conversation with Mrs. Jane Wilks, 7826 Cartier Street, who kindly called at the City Archives this morning, 4 October 1949. “Soapy” Smith of Skagway. Congregational Church. Carrall Street. Klondyke rush. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Mrs. John Williams, 2050 Macdonald street, Kitsilano, widow of the late Mr. Williams (“Williams, the brewer”) of the Red Cross Brewery, Seaton Street (now West Hastings Street) who in response to our invitation called at the City Archives this afternoon, 19 September 1946, remained for an hour or more and partook of tea and cake with Miss Klemm and myself. Red Cross Brewery. Australian-Canadian Trans-Pacific Air Service inauguration, first aeroplane flight, “All Red Route” by air, 17 September 1946. [PDF]
  • Conversation, 15 July 1948, at my desk, City Archives, with Mr. John (commonly called “Jack”) Williams, 376 West 20th Avenue (Fair. 0465R), pioneer, who arrived here 30 September 1888 on the Canadian Pacific Railway chartered steamship Duke of Westminster. [PDF]
  • [Letter from J.S. Matthews to Mrs. Stanley Williams.] [PDF]
  • Conversation with Lieutenant-Colonel W.J. Williams, E.D., of 38 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, who kindly called at the City Archives this afternoon, bringing with him a large framed photograph, touched with crayon, of the late Sir Matthew Begbie, which he presented for safekeeping, (no date) July 1949. [PDF]
  • Conversation with Alderman Frank Woodside, over the phone, at his office in the B.C. and Yukon Chamber of Mines, Howe and Dunsmuir, 10 October 1953. Street names in and about Hastings Townsite. Yale Street. Trinity Street. Eton Street. Vancouver Heights. Beacon Hill. Shea locomotive. Shell Oil Company. First delivery of bulk gasoline. Shell Oil Company, 1913. Russell Motor Co. [PDF]
  • The Story of the Buchan Version [PDF] (22 MB)
  • The Naming and Opening of Stanley Park [PDF] (2 MB)
  • Dedication of Stanley Park [PDF] (11 MB)
  • The Pioneers of Burrard Inlet [PDF] (10 MB)
  • The C.P.R. Townsite [PDF] (12 MB)
  • Founders of Vancouver [PDF] (12 MB)
  • The Cenotaph [PDF]

About The Open Document Format (ODF)

The Open Document Format is an open standard for representing electronic files such as spreadsheets and word processing documents as xml. Each complete volume has been made available as ODF (file extension .odt) to make it easier to re-use the text and images. Many software suites support this format, including Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows, Google Docs, Open Office and Libre Office. links leave City site

Early Vancouver Home

Top of Page

   

©2002, City of Vancouver Archives   |   Disclaimer   |   Privacy policy   |   Contact Archives   |   Last Modified Tuesday, April 10, 2012    |    Bookmark and Share link exits City site