Vancouver City Council
MOTION ON NOTICE
Submitted by Councillor Ladner for the Regular Council meeting on April 12, 2005.
Product Stewardship Program for Electronic Wastes
MOVER: Councillor Ladner
1. B.C. is a North American leader in product stewardship, requiring industry-led recycling of products such as paints, bottles, cans, tetra-packs and batteries; and
2. Reducing waste is a critical component of a sustainable city and part of the City of Vancouver and GVRD's sustainability policies; and
3. Electronic waste is the fastest-growing component of our municipal waste stream, with thousands of products in storage in homes around the city awaiting disposal; and
4. Electronic waste contains toxic materials and recyclable materials; and
5. The GVRD is encouraging product stewardship of electronic waste, where the manufacturers and consumers of products take responsibility for their entire life cycle under a "cradle to cradle" philosophy; and
6. The provinces of Ontario and Saskatchewan have already implemented product stewardship requirements for e-waste such as computers, cell phones, TVs and monitors.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT
The City of Vancouver request the B.C. government to implement a product stewardship program for electronic wastes as soon as possible.
* * * * *