City Clerk's Department
The City Clerk's Department provides administrative and information services to City Council and its committees and boards, as well as City departments and Vancouver citizens.
The City Clerk's Department consists of the following divisions:
- Council Support Services
- Information and Administrative Services
- Public Access and Council Services
- Corporate Communications
- Records and Archives
- External Relations
Organizational Chart (97 kb)
Council Support Services provides confidential secretarial services, research and administrative help to City Councillors.
Information and Administrative Services provides administrative services for the Office of the City Clerk. They are also responsible for:
- preserving and safekeeping Council meeting minutes, by-laws, civic agreements and other related official documents
- providing research services on Council and committee minutes, actions and by-laws to Council, staff and the public
- administering responsibilities under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and act as liaison for the City with the Ombudsman's Office
Public Access and Council Services prepares agenda packages and records meeting proceedings for Council meetings, standing and special committees, advisory committees to Council, and boards. Public Access and Council Services also coordinates the Council appointment process for advisory committees of Council and facilitates communication between Council, civic staff and the public, including providing information on interpretation of Council and committee decisions, as well as information on all aspects of civic operations and activities.
Corporate Communications provides communications planning and strategies for all City departments. It produces communication materials such as news releases, website content, brochures, advertising, logos, corporate videos and more. It also acts as a media spokesperson or liaison for the City and manages City events and ceremonies as required.
Records and Archives is responsible for:
- promoting knowledge of information management throughout the City organization and encourage the use of information as a valuable corporate resource
- providing records management services to the organization and microfilming services to the organization
- conducting the acquisition, accession and preservation of historical public records, private papers, photographs and other items relating to the City and making them available to the public and the City for research and administrative purposes
External Relations coordinates the City's external relationships. It is responsible for visit coordination and support, event protocols, and international partnerships. It also plans and coordinates official civic functions and visits to and from Vancouver's five sister cities: Edinburgh, Guangzhou, Los Angeles, Odessa, and Yokohama.