Councillor Elizabeth Ball
First elected to Vancouver City Council in 2005 and re-elected in 2011, Councillor Ball has worked successfully as an arts, culture and heritage advocate in Vancouver. Her special interest in the needs of children and seniors has served the community well.
Councillor Ball now serves on the advisory committees for the Hastings Institute as well as Vancouver Civic Theatres. She has dedicated many years of service to numerous community organizations including BC Entertainment Hall of Fame, Vancouver Heritage Board and Minerva Foundation for BC Women. She has been recognized for her accomplishments by the BC Entertainment Hall of Fame StarWalk, the Granville Island Outstanding Contribution Award, YWCA Woman of Distinction Nominations and the Union of BC Performers Award for Humanity and Integrity and the Vancouver Theatre Alliance Lifetime Achievement Award.
Her goal is to improve the quality of life for all citizens of all ages in Vancouver with health and safety secured and enriched by a thriving cultural community. Councillor Ball has dedicated decades of service to numerous local and regional boards and charitable organizations in order to achieve this challenging objective.
Born in Saskatchewan, raised in Vancouver, Councillor Ball grew up in Dunbar and currently resides in the Cambie Village area with her family. A graduate of The Playhouse Theatre program, she taught at UBC for many years. She founded Carousel Theatre Company and School and co-founded the Waterfront Theatre on Granville Island. Elizabeth has supported many initiatives through her past appointments. These have included:
- Vancouver Public Library Board
- Co-Chair Mayor’s Task force on Children and Childcare
- Vancouver Heritage Foundation Board
- Co-Chair, City of Vancouver Film Task Force
- Co-chair, City of Vancouver Creative Task Force
- Director, Greater Vancouver Regional District Metro
- Director, Metro Labour Relations Bureau
- Director, Metro Parks Committee
- Vice-Chair, Metro Regional Cultural Task Force and Inaugural Committee
- President, BC Entertainment Hall of Fame
- Executive, Minerva Foundation for BC Women
Her current local and regional appointments are:
- Regional Culture Committee (Metro Vancouver)
- Alternate, Greater Vancouver Regional District Board (Metro Vancouver)
- Vancouver Civic Theatres Board
- Nomination Sub-Committee
- Hastings Institute Inc. Board
- Vancouver Athletic Commission