Councillor Heather Deal
Heather Deal was first elected to Vancouver City Council in 2005 and was re-elected in 2008 and 2011. Before that, she served as a Vancouver Park Board Commissioner from 2002-2005 and was Chair of the Park Board in 2003.
Heather brings her passions for sustainability, arts and culture, accessibility and affordability to City Hall. She has brought forward green initiatives including waste reduction in the region, programs supporting artists and expanding creative spaces in the city, increasing number and type of food carts in Vancouver, improving accessibility throughout the city, heritage retention and increasing pedestrian safety.
Heather is a professional biologist and an environmental educator and activist. She sings in the Vancouver Bach Choir, has served as President of the choir's Board of Directors, and worked with the Portland Hotel Society to bring the Bach Choir to the Downtown Eastside for free concerts.
Born in England and raised in Michigan, she received her bachelor’s degree in Biology from Oberlin College in Ohio in 1982 and moved from Cleveland to Vancouver for a medical research job in 1984. After receiving her master of science degree from the University of British Columbia in Microbiology/Immunology in 1988, she did cancer research for several years before changing her career path to focus on environmental issues. Heather has developed science/environmental programs for UBC Continuing Studies, designed and taught courses for people restoring fish habitat in rivers for the Province of BC and worked on marine habitat issues with the David Suzuki Foundation.
Heather is an avid cyclist, camper, hiker, and enjoys gardening on her Kitsilano balcony.
Her current local and regional appointments include:
- Director, Metro Vancouver
- Vice Chair, Vancouver Standing Committee on City Finances & Services
- Vancouver Heritage Commission
- Vancouver Public Library, Board
- Vancouver Public Art Committee
- Vancouver Food Policy Council
- Environment and Parks Standing Committee, Metro Vancouver
- Electoral Area A Standing Committee, Metro Vancouver
- Intergovernmental and Administration Standing Committee, Metro Vancouver
- Delegate, Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Board
- Community Safety and Crime Standing Committee, FCM
- Social-Economic Development Standing Committee, FCM