Councillor Raymond Louie
Raymond Louie is serving his fourth term on Vancouver City Council, having been first elected in 2002. Throughout his years as a Councillor, he has worked tirelessly to bring the will of his constituents to City Hall, with a focus on supporting new affordable housing and keeping taxes low in Vancouver.
His vision is to help create a Vancouver where new opportunities to learn, succeed and thrive are available to all. As a champion of communities, an expert in civic issues, and a fierce advocate for those who have been forgotten and ignored, he is working to ensure that this vision becomes a reality.
For the past Council term and continuing this term, Raymond is serving as the Chair of the City Finance and Services Committee, and helped ensure that vital programs like affordable housing, the environment, and public safety maintained strong funding during an economic downturn. He has served as a National Representative for the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, as well as a Trustee and Director on numerous regional and provincial boards including the BC Municipal Finance Authority, TransLink and Metro Vancouver.
Closer to home, Raymond is a member of "Generating Citizenship" which is a three-year project funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada with the objectives of bringing together seniors and youth in the community to help build a more caring, inclusive community.
He was active on the Parent Advisory Committee for Chief Maquinna School for many years, and has also been involved in Community Visions, a community liaison group in the Hastings/Sunrise neighbourhood.
Raymond was born and raised in East Vancouver, where he worked at his family's bakery in the heart of “Little Italy” on Commercial Drive. Today he still calls East Vancouver home with his wife Tonya and their three children. He is an avid cyclist who raced for several years with a local team and competed in the Gastown Grand Prix and Tour de White Rock races.
His current local appointments:
- Chair, City Finance and Services Committee
- Chair, Pacific National Exhibition Board
- Council Liaison, Mayor's Taskforce on Affordable Housing
- Director, Vancouver Civic Development Corporation
- Head Judge, Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks Festival
His regional appointments include:
- Vice Chair, Metro Vancouver Regional Board
- Chair, Metro Vancouver Intergovernmental Committee
- Director, Lower Mainland Local Government Association (LMLGA)
- Director, Municipal Finance Authority (MFA)
- Alternate, Western Transportation Advisory Council (WESTAC)
His national appointments include:
- Third Vice President, Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM)
- Chair, FCM Standing Committee on Municipal Infrastructure and Transportation Policy
- Chair, FCM Green Municipal Fund
- Chair, FCM Sustainable Communities Awards Committee