Councillor Geoff Meggs
Geoff Meggs was first elected to the Vancouver City Council in 2008 and re-elected in 2011.
He is committed to working for a city in which eliminating homelessness, creating affordable housing and expanding quality public transit are priorities, and believes that if you work in Vancouver, you should be able to live in Vancouver.
An award-winning journalist and author, his career has combined senior leadership positions in government and the labour movement.
As a journalist, Geoff was the first to sound the alarm about the threat of salmon farming to wild salmon stocks and later exposed waste and mismanagement in the health care system.
He served as Director of Communications in the Office of the Premier under Premier Glen Clark, and later served as Director of Communications and Executive Director of the BC Federation of Labour.
As Executive Assistant to Mayor Larry Campbell, Geoff worked on Vancouver’s 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games bid; the fight to win major new investments in buses and rapid transit; the creation of Vancouver’s supervised injection site and many other community issues.
After leaving the BC Federation of Labour in 2008, he has provided strategic communications services to a range of clients through his own firm, Tideline Communications.
He has served on the boards of the Georgia Strait Alliance, the False Creek South Neighbourhood Association, his strata council, and several day cares.
Born and raised in Toronto and Ottawa, he has been a resident of Vancouver since 1976. He lived in Fairview and Strathcona neighbourhoods before settling in False Creek, where he currently resides with his family.
His current local and regional appointments:
- Vice-Chair, Standing Committee on Planning, Transportation and Environment
- City of Vancouver Public Housing Corporation
- Vancouver Civic Development Corporation
- Persons with Disabilities Advisory Committee
- Mayor’s Task Force on Housing Affordability
- Director, Greater Vancouver Regional District Board (Metro Vancouver)
- Finance Committee (Metro Vancouver)
- Housing Committee (Metro Vancouver)
- Intergovernmental Relations Task Force (Metro Vancouver)