Using City symbols
Use of the symbols cannot be used without authorization from the City. Please call Corporate Communications at 604.871.6336 for permission.
If you represent an organization that is supported by the City, the emblem is available for download in a variety of formats.
Vancouver is a livable, vibrant and green city. Many of the City's symbols represent the City's plant life, waterways, wildlife and mountains:
- City emblem
- Vancouver Green Capital logo
- Coat of arms
- City Hall
- Official colour
- Official flower
Vancouver's emblem was developed in 2006 by the City's senior graphic designer Elaine Ayres. The emblem conveys the idea of a vibrant, livable, healthy and natural city. The palette captures the predominant colours of our natural environment: blue for the sea and sky that surround our city; and green for the grass, trees and our abundant plant life.
The two overlapping elements in the graphic allude to many symbols of Vancouver: budding blossoms; crests of ocean waves and the peaks of mountains; birds in flight; the sails of Canada Place, a prominent city landmark; and the letter V. The placement of the graphic element against the words "City of Vancouver" suggest a spark or fireworks--a city that is alive and growing.
"Vancouver Green Capital" is the City of Vancouver’s business brand for economic development. Established in 2009, it is defined as “Vancouver’s currency and its economy; our focus and our future.”
The brand was developed with extensive consultation with leaders from a range of industries and interests, and with a profound reflection on the fundamental characteristics of Vancouver.
“Capital” signifies commerce and currency; a place of concentrated activity and concentrated leadership. "Green" is nature, sustainability and growth.
Vancouver's coat of arms is reserved for formal, ceremonial purposes. It was granted by the College of Heralds, London, England on March 31, 1969. The Coat of Arms represents many significant elements of the City's heritage. The shield, with ship's sail and crown, depicts Vancouver's location and status as a seaport. The Kwakiutl totem pole shows our Native heritage; the logger and fisherman point to the City's original industries; and the dogwood flowers are symbols of BC. The wording "By sea land and air we prosper" reflects the three methods of transportation by which the city has prospered.
Vancouver's present-day coat of arms is the third version the City has used.
The badge, in the form of a crossed oar and felling axe inside a crown, depicts the City's original industries. The badge is ocassionally used to identify property owned by the City.
The City flag was approved by City Council on May 17, 1983. It was designed by Robert Watt, former Director of the Vancouver Museum. The bottom chevron of green represents the land on which the City is built and the forest from which much of its property has come. The alternating waving bars of blue and white symbolize the sea, which is the other principal foundation of the City's growth. The shield represents Vancouver's status as a corporation. On the shield is the City Badge, a specific mark of civic government.
The City's mace was presented by the Lord Mayor and Corporation of the City of London, England, in 1936 as a gift on Vancouver's 50th birthday. Made from Canadian silver and mercurial gilded, it is 1.5 m ( 5'3") long and weighs 18 kg (40 lb). It is an exact replica of the City of London's mace, except for the stem (the London mace stem is wood). The mace is symbolic of City Council's authority and is displayed in the Council Chamber during regular Council meetings.
City Hall, at 453 West 12th Avenue, was opened December 4, 1936. It was designed by the architectural firm of Townley and Matheson, and built by the Carter-Halls-Aldinger Company at a cost of approximately $1 million. The building was designated a heritage building in 1976. Each lock plate of solid cast bronze in City Hall displays the Vancouver Coat of Arms. Each doorknob bears the monogram of the building. The ceiling on the second level of the Rotunda is made from gold leaf from several BC mines and the marble is from Italy. Council Chambers is located on the third floor.
The official colours of the City are yellow/gold, blue/purple, and white.
The official flower of the City is the rose. Although there are records going back as far as 1917 that discuss the question of an official flower for the City (other contenders back then were the dogwood, the dahlia, and the sweet pea) the rose finally became the City's official flower on December 14, 1967.